The Nomination Committee consists of the Non-Executive Chairman, Mr J. Loasby and Non-Executive Directors Ms S. Bianchi, Ms E. Headon, Mr S. McTiernan and Mr G. Smith.
Nomination Committee Report
Composition of the Nomination Committee +-
Summary of role of the Nomination Committee +-
The main responsibilities of the Committee include:
- identifying and nominating for the approval of the Board candidates to fill Board vacancies as and when they arise;
- before making an appointment, evaluating the balance of skills, knowledge and experience on the Board and, in light of this evaluation, preparing a description of the role and capabilities required for a particular appointment;
- reviewing periodically the time required from a Non-Executive Director. Performance evaluation is used to assess whether the Non-Executive Director is spending enough time to fulfil his or her duties;
- giving full consideration to succession planning in the course of its work, taking into account the challenges and opportunities facing the Company and what skills and expertise are therefore needed on the Board in the future;
- regularly reviewing the structure, size and composition (including the skills, knowledge and experience) of the Board and making recommendations to the Board with regard to changes considered advisable; and
- keeping under review the leadership needs of the organisation, both Executive and Non-Executive, with a view to ensuring the continued ability of the Group to compete effectively in the marketplace.
The standard terms of contract with the Non-Executive Directors are available on request from the Company Secretary, at the Company’s registered office during normal business hours, and at the AGM (for 15 minutes prior to the meeting and during the meeting).
The Committee met during 2013 to consider a number of candidates for the positions of Non-Executive Directors. An external recruitment consultant, the Institute of Directors in Ireland Boardroom Centre (“the Boardroom Centre”), was engaged to assist with the recruitment process. The result of this process was that in March 2013, the Board co-opted Mr S. McTiernan and Mr G. Smith as Non-Executive Directors, who were subsequently elected to the Board by shareholders at the AGM in May 2013. On appointment, the Company Secretary provided an induction to the Directors on their roles and responsibilities on the Board and relevant committees. Both new Directors visited the Mine in December 2013 which provided them with the opportunity to meet with operations staff.
The Committee also meet during the year to discuss succession planning and the skills and expertise that are needed on the Board in the future.