Statement of Directors’ Responsibilities
The Directors are responsible for preparing the Annual Report together with the financial statements in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
Irish company law requires the Directors to prepare financial statements for each financial year which give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the Group and of the profit or loss of the Company and the Group for that period. Under that law the Directors are required to prepare Group financial statements in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) as adopted by the European Union and have elected to prepare the Parent Company financial statements under IFRSs as adopted by the European Union as applied in accordance with the Companies Acts, 1963 to 2013. In preparing the financial statements, the Directors are required to:
- properly select and apply accounting policies;
- present information, including accounting policies, in a manner that provides relevant, reliable, comparable and understandable information;
- make judgements that are reasonable and prudent;
- provide additional disclosures when compliance with the specific requirements in IFRSs are insufficient to enable users to understand the impact of particular transactions, other events and conditions on the entity’s financial position and financial performance;
- state that the financial statements have been prepared in accordance with IFRSs as issued by the IASB and as adopted by the European Union; and
- prepare financial statements on a going concern basis unless it is inappropriate to presume the Company and Group will continue in business.
International Accounting Standard 1 requires that financial statements present fairly for each financial year the Company’s financial position, financial performance and cash flows. This requires the faithful representation of the effects of transactions, other events and conditions in accordance with the definitions and recognition criteria for assets, liabilities, income and expenses set out in the International Accounting Standards Board’s “Framework for the preparation and presentation of financial statements”. In virtually all circumstances, a fair presentation will be achieved by compliance with all applicable IFRSs.
The Directors are responsible for keeping proper books of account which disclose with reasonable accuracy at any time the financial position of the Company and to enable them to ensure that the financial statements are prepared in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the European Union and comply with the Companies Acts 1963 to 2013 and as regards the consolidated financial statements, article 4 of the IAS Regulation. They are also responsible for safeguarding the assets of the Company and hence for taking reasonable steps for the prevention and detection of fraud and other irregularities.
The Directors are responsible for the maintenance and integrity of the corporate and financial information included on the Company’s website. Legislation in Ireland governing the preparation and dissemination of financial statements may differ from legislation in other jurisdictions.
Each of the Directors whose names and functions appear on this page of the Annual Report confirms to the best of such person’s knowledge and belief:
- the financial statements, prepared in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the EU, give a true and fair view of the assets, liabilities, financial position and profit or loss of the Company and the undertakings included in the consolidation taken as a whole; and
- the Business and Strategy Review and Principal Risks and Uncertainties, which are incorporated into the Directors’ Report, include a fair review of the development and performance of the business and the position of the Company and the undertakings included in the consolidation taken as a whole, together with a description of the principal risks and uncertainties that they face.
- the Annual Report and financial statements, taken as a whole, are fair, balanced and understandable and provide the information necessary for shareholders to assess the Company’s performance, business model and strategy.
On behalf of the Board:
M. Carvill Director T. McCluskey Director
11 April 2014